Rain woke me early.  Since we were not meeting for breakfast until 9 we lounged in bed catching up on the internet and editing our plethora of photographs.

When our guide finally appeared we decided to leave at ten and just drive around hoping to find something of interest.  By then the refreshing air was drying.  We took off in the opposite direction of the ferry we were to board before two o’clock.  A mirador provided a lookout of the colorful town of Porvenir.

Then we drove on down the gravel road and came across some shanties where fishermen lived and were working on boats.  This was the highlight of the day!  Bastian gained their permission for us to take photographs.  At first the group of men were trying to get a motor working.  The youngest man, Raul, fetched a king crab from his shack to show us its size.  It was enormous!  One kilo of crab yields 300 grams of meat, and this one was more than a kilo.  Littered on the shore were dead starfish, tossed aside as they eat everything and came in with the haul.  Cut an arm off and a new one will regenerate.  The cut off arm will grow an entire starfish!  They are not seen positively.  A few bivalve shells, a cow’s head, and a couple of cats added to the scenery.  The men also put a boat into the water using logs and bright yellow tubes to push it from sand to sea.  It took all of them, drunk or not, to be suceessful.


After picking up our box lunches we drove to the ferry dock and detoured to another mirador.  This provided a view of the mainland in the far distance across the Magellan Straits.  The buffeting wind was brisk.  Being on one the small fishing boats must be downright bone chilling!

While Bastian and Jorge did paperwork for the ferry, Bill and I meandered around the pier area looking at well-used boats, gulls, and ducks.  A two hour ferry ride back to Punta Arenas gave us ample time to edit photos.  We checked into the hotel, bade good-bye to Bastian, and good night to Jorge who would transfer us to the airport at the next day.

As it was not time for dinner we walked around town to the Plaza de las Armas where we purchased gifts for the neighbor girls who played with Jack while we travelled.  I also bought a lightweight long sleeved purple Sherpa pullover shirt at half price from the outdoors store on the way back to the hotel.

King crab cannelloni was the dish for which they are famous so we each enjoyed that, a glass of wine, and dessert.  Bailey’s Creme Brûlée was Bill’s choice, and I had rhubarb ice cream with calafateé sauce.  It is made from a local berry, often in Pisco sours, and looks like a blueberry.  It is more acidic and has lots of hard seeds.

In the morning we ambled about again and found ourselves on a high mirador with a wide view of the harbor.  It turns out Jorge lives s block from there!  When we parted ways at the airport I realized I would miss him most of all.  He has two kids, the three year old with Down’s syndrome, and he is just a kind kind man.  With his rapid paced Spanish I was hesitant to talk with him but would have loved to have done so more.  It was good to have him share meals with us.